Friday 21 June 2013

My 'Jab We Met' Moment

"Maine ek sapna dekha, bada hi ajeeb tha. Badi bechani ho rahi thi, ais alag raha tha ki mano jaise koi train chuth rahi ho...aur main uske peeche bhaag rahi hoon..." When I saw Jab We Met, I loved every single moment of the movie. Be it Kareena running after Shahid or Shahid driving Kareena to the station so that she could catch the train, every single frame was amazing. But never in my wildest dream did I ever imagine that the same would be happening with me! The dialog which I mentioned in the beginning almost came true for me.

After I got a job in GBM (a Public Relations firm), I had to travel to Delhi for my job training in May. Everything was set - my tickets, my luggage etc. I was very excited and was making plans about what would I do when I reach Delhi, where would I go and eat an so on and so forth. I was not in Mumbai one week prior to my journey, but as everything was already set before hand, I was relaxed. The tension started after I was not able to get a ticket back to Mumbai from Gaya, Bihar. After that nothing was going right for me. Every single day my brother and I used to look for tickets, but only failure came to us. I had a train on 24th of May and till 20th I was in Gaya. I was spending sleepless nights. But finally, somehow my father got the tickets for 21st and I reached Mumbai on 22nd May. I was confident that nothing will go wrong as I had already reached Mumbai. All I had to do was to take my luggage and leave for Delhi. But life can not be so sweet to me.

I had to shift places, so my brother and I were busy shifting luggage from my place to my aunt's place. We could not do it in one day, so we decided we would come early and shift rest of the luggage the next day. And that was the day when I had to travel. We reached our place, got a cab, loaded the stuff and were on the move. As usual, something bad had to happen. We got a lot of traffic on the way and I was running short of time. My brother was yelling at me about how irresponsible I was about not leaving on time and all. I was on the verge of crying because my train was supposed to leave at 5pm and it was already 0445. We were 5 mins away from the station, but the traffic was not letting us move freely.

Somehow we managed to reach the station. I saw my train standing on the platform and it was about to leave. I passed on the luggage to 2 coolies and ran for my life. My whole life was coming infront of my eyes. The moment I stepped on the platform, the train started moving. I shouted at the driver and begged him to stop the train for just 2 mins. Just like Kareena in Jab We Met and Simran in DDLJ, I caught the train running. Behind me came the 2 coolies and they dumped my luggage infront of me. The train was in  motion. I had to pay a whooping price of Rs.500 just for 2 bags to the coolies, but I had no other option. The moment realisation hit me and before I could think or react, tears started flowing from my eyes. I called my brother, mother, cousin, friend and God knows who not possible, and informed them about the incident. and after that I started laughing. I searched for my colleague who was travelling with me and narrated the whole thing to her as well. She got worried first but after two minutes, even she was laughing on this.

This incident might sound filmy, but it will always be a nightmare for me. I could never forget that unfortunate day ever. But I guess whatever happens, happens for a reason. Nevertheless, I reached Delhi safely and as now I sit in my office writing and thinking about it, I smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment